Sunday, September 30, 2012

I think I owe you a post...

This was a 6 show week. I'm tired.

Monday: "Mademoiselle Julie" at the Barbican Theatre. This was the famous "Miss Julie" translated into French and Julie was played by Juliette Binoche (the female lead in the Johnny Depp film "Chocolat").

Ask to read my journal to hear about this one. Way too much to explain/tell here...

Mademoiselle Julie 

Wednesday: "Thom Paine" at the Print Room.

One man show. Didn't change my life, but I enjoyed myself. Lots of audience interaction and I felt so uncomfortable sitting in the front row.

Thom Paine

Thursday: "Oh The Humanity" at the SoHo Theatre.

Very interesting show. First show I've seen in London where the actors were using American accents. They were pretty bad and very inconsistent. Yikes, do we really sound like that? I liked the space, really hip and cool. It's so awesome that going to the theater is a hip thing to do in this city. I wish it was that way in the US.

Oh The Humanity

Friday: "Fireface" at the Young Vic.

My favorite show I've seen in London so far. It was first night of previews and we weren't let into the theater for 20 minutes because of a technical difficulty. We got free tickets so we weren't sure if the show was legit, but it was. It was so good. So hard to watch (lots of incest)... but all the acting was phenomenal. If any of you have ever seen the first cast of Skins, the lead girl in "Fireface" was Sketch (who was obsessed with Maxxie). I would go back and see this show again and pay.

Fireface
Saturday: "Three Sisters" at the Young Vic and "Les Miserables" at the Queen's Theatre.

"Three Sisters" was my first time seeing Chekhov onstage. It was basically Chekhov for hipsters. Having read the play a few weeks ago for class I was super excited to see the show. Never go into a show with high expectations... I was thoroughly disappointed. It wasn't bad... it just didn't blow me away. The blonde woman (see the program below) played Masha and she was a great actress, really taking that character to a level I never thought about while reading the play. The other two sisters were not as good. The men were uneven, some of the acting was amazing and some was just okay. The set was very dynamic and moved around a lot, but it was so so so distracting. One of the stagehands who was moving scenery around was super attractive and I found myself wishing I could watch him move the set around for 3 hours instead of a cast of whiny people complaining about how they'll never get to Moscow. Just get on a plane.

And of course "Les Mis" was absolute perfection. No complaints there. I sat in the first row of the balcony this time instead of the last row. That's twice in 2.5 weeks... wonder how many times I can see it in 3 months!!

Three Sisters


Les Miserables

2 comments:

  1. Hey emgoeler! I love your "NYC" blog and I'm applying to intern at jujamcyn and was wondering if I could ask you questions or if you could give me tips?? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. email me at e.m.goeler@gmail.com!

    ReplyDelete