Sunday, September 23, 2012

Good morning... well at least for me... you guys are probably all asleep.

Since the last time we spoke I have seen two shows. Last Thursday night I went to see Sarah Kane's play "4:48 Psychosis" and last night I saw "Morning" by Simon Stephens.

The first show was upstairs from a pub so you had to walk through the pub to get to the studio space. It was one of those "truly British experiences" because that's what pub theater is. So that was super fun even if the show left a lot to be desired. The play ("4:48") is kind of an inner monologue told by this woman who ends up committing suicide at the end. But the first thing she says in the show is something like "At 4:48 I kill myself." So the whole time I'm sitting there thinking "get on with it already" because I knew what was going to happen. Also they took a one woman show and stretched it out with 6 people. I feel like that could've worked if there was the right group of people. I wasn't completely blown away by any of the acting. Still, it was an experience.

Program for "4:48 Psychosis"
And oh boy "Morning" was an experience too. It was at the Lyric Theater which closely resembled the Goodspeed Opera House (for all you Connecticut peeps) on the inside but the outside was a concrete building. Interesting. The first thing that happened was Amanda and I got on the wrong tube... no idea how that happened because I NEVER GET ON THE WRONG TUBE. So we got off and then were going to go back and start again but decided to walk. We had a 40 minute walk and 30 minutes to get to the theater in time. Stress. Once we couldn't even figure out if we were walking the right way (street names are hard to find here), we flagged down a cab. The cab driver got us there in 10 minutes. Huzzah. Okay so the show. Whoa. It's so weird -- there's like no words to describe this show. I loved the concept and the lighting and sound. It had a bit of an "American Idiot" feel with strobe lights (not a musical though) and loud music. But the show was a psychological thriller... the lead girl and her best friend, who is leaving for college, go out into the woods with the lead girl's boyfriend and try to have a threesome but then they tie him up and the lead girl kills him... like WHAT?! Honestly so weird. There were funny moments and moments where I felt physically ill. The show ended and no one knew whether or not to start clapping. It was definitely an interesting night at the theater. The program includes the whole script which is nice because I can go back and reread to see if I missed anything. So weird.

Program and ticket for "Morning"

This week I have 3 shows lined up but there could be more.

No comments:

Post a Comment