Saturday, December 1, 2012

Let's catch up on shows I've seen... I've kept every single ticket, but taking a picture of each one was getting annoying. Thus explaining the lack of pictures...

Shakespeare's "Merry Wives of Windsor"(Royal Shakespeare Company, Stratford-upon-Avon) -- This show was absolutely fabulous. I loved every second of it. The production was updated, set in November 2012, and for the first time ever I found myself relating to characters in Shakespeare.

"The Orphan of Zhao" (Royal Shakespeare Company, Stratford-upon-Avon) -- Not good. Just kind of ridiculous actually. There was no sense of respect for the Chinese culture and the ritual that is Chinese theatre. The set was interesting and some of the effects were good. One actor was great.

"Scenes From An Execution" -- Fiona Shaw was exceptional. I really enjoyed the show. Not much to say about that one.

"Loserville" -- The dumbest lyrics you will ever hear, but the music was actually great. It was a perfect way to spend a Saturday afternoon. Because it's not selling well, we got bumped from crappy seats to row E in the orchestra, which was fabulous.

"Billy Elliot" -- Not my favorite. I have a lot of respect for the show and the kid who played Billy was OUT OF THIS WORLD... and the dancing was as well. However, I am not enthralled with the music, and it's a musical. Definitely worth seeing.

"Richard III" -- Mark Rylance played Richard. I didn't like the show and my seats were dreadful (in a bad way), but seeing Rylance is always worth it.

"Carmen" -- SO GOOD. This was at the same place as "Don Giovanni" had been, so I was worried because that had been so bad... but this show was great. I really enjoyed the concept and thought all the performances were remarkable.

"The Effect" -- Absolutely amazing. There isn't much to say except it was a great great great show.

"La Boheme" -- Funky, fresh take on the opera. It was in English and the second act when they're at the bar was promenade style around the auditorium. The singing was incredible. Opera at it's most casual.

"The Trojan Women" -- If you want to know about the experience, ask me in person. It's too much to write about here. Let's just say I had quite a visceral reaction to the whole experience, a panic attack might have been involved. It was an incredible show. Any piece of theater that can make me feel like this production did, is doing its job.

"Les Miserables" -- Well I can walk away from London having said that I saw this show three times in the span of four months. It just never gets old...

"The Seagull" -- It was a nice updated version of the classic Chekhov. I liked the play a lot better than "Three Sisters" because the characters were not as whiney. Some of the acting wasn't all that great, but the second act was a million times better than the first so it ended on a positive note.

No comments:

Post a Comment