Sunday, December 2, 2012

After agonizing over a final paper (which I literally finished five seconds ago) all day, I needed a really epic homework break. And that's what I got.

If you know me at all, you know I am completely head over heels in love with this new trend... musical theater composers writing songs that are a little indie, a little pop, and a little musical theater. Then they get awesome people to sing the songs, record them, put an album out, and musical theater nerds like me go nuts. Names like Pasek & Paul, Jason Robert Brown, and Kerrigan & Lowdermilk come to mind...

BUT Kooman & Dimond is my favorite. And tonight I got to see them. This concert (which was in a church with amazing acoustics), was the London debut of Kooman & Dimond, so that's super exciting that I was there. Basically there was a small band (piano, cello, guitar, cajon/drum kit), and a myriad of West End performers. They got up and sang songs while Kooman and Dimond watched contentedly along with the audience.

The second the first note was sung I was totally lost. Every song from their album, "Out of Our Heads" was performed except one. They also previewed three songs from a musical they're writing (we were the first audience to ever hear the songs), and a couple other songs from other random things they've done. The guys stood up after intermission and introduced themselves. Chris Dimond thanked London, on behalf of America, for giving us the good version of The Office.

The show ended with Dimond performing a rap he wrote... "Def Ass Musical Theatre Gangsta Jam"... that was epic.

The crowd was really interesting too. It was pretty obvious that most of the people there were family/friends of the performers or someone involved in some capacity. It was definitely what I would consider an industry event, so that was pretty neat even though I felt like a fish out of water.

I'm beyond glad that I was able to go. Someday when I see them again I will be able to say that I was at their London premiere concert. Now that's exciting.

Perfect end to the weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment