Saturday, October 6, 2012

This week I saw 3 shows. 

Wednesday night I saw "Our Boys" at the Duchess Theatre (West End). Great show overall. Amazing acting -- all 6 actors were just really great. Neville Longbottom (real name: Matthew Lewis) from Harry Potter was in the show and although I'm not a HP fan it was fun to meet him after the show at the stage door. "Our Boys" focuses on 6 military men in a hospital recovering from various injuries. The script lacks a real conflict, but the show is about character development... and the internal struggles that plague each character run the show. 

OUR BOYS
Thursday night I saw "The Last Session" at the Tristan Bates Theatre (Fringe). Really interesting musical. It's American and was written in 1997, the year after "Rent" came out. There were a lot of similarities, but it was a lot smaller of a production. The show is about a man with AIDS who plans to kill himself the day after he records his last album. So you can guess that a series of events lead to him deciding not to kill himself... typical. But the singing was really great, and some strong acting.

THE LAST SESSION
Friday night I saw "Choir Boy" at the Royal Court Theatre/Jerwood Theatre Upstairs. The author of this show came to talk to us at BADA for a master class a few weeks ago and I absolutely adored him. I connected with him on an emotional level -- I might've written about it earlier. So I knew that I would love this show even if it sucked because I had such a high level of respect for the author. The show did not disappoint. It opens at MTC in NYC in June... so you should all go. It was a beautiful show fueled by Gospel music and really raw, beautiful, fresh voices. If you want to know more about the show ask to read my journal. 

CHOIR BOY

No comments:

Post a Comment