Monday, October 22, 2012

It's Monday which is the worst day of the week. Especially when by the end of the week you'll be in Barcelona. 

I saw the musical "Wicked" on Saturday night. Some wonderful friends waited in line to get day seats (that's what they call rush tickets here). So we paid just under 30 pounds for front row seats. I'd only ever seen the show once before on the first US tour a few years back, so I was excited. It's not my favorite show in the world... but the orchestrations are amazing. If you just sit back and listen to the music itself you would be amazed. Also my seat was near the end so I could see backstage and, since I'm a total geek, I spent some key moments watching the fly crew rig the monkeys off stage right in the wings. Also, Fiyero was absolutely DREADFUL. Everything about him screamed he didn't care which is just disrespectful to the audience. I actually felt disrespected by him and his laziness. It was obvious in everything he did. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out why he was cast. He had sleeves of tattoos and a pretty non-traditional look plus he used to be in a pop rock band, and all I can think is that he was cast because it puts a new twist on the character. But if you're going to be a badass you better be a badass... he wasn't.

Wicked.

On Sunday, Amanda and I saw "Flashmob" -- a dance show. If you've talked to me in the past few months, you know I'm obsessed with the TV show All The Right Moves which focuses on Travis Wall who won some season of So You Think You Can Dance and now choreographs for the show. He's now choreographing "Bare" off-Broadway which I'm seeing in December, but that's another story. Anyway I love this TV show and the dancing is just unreal (it's about Wall's dance company that he created with his best friends). So I went to this dance show... it was people who have won different dance competitions... for example the woman in the middle won the UK version of SYTYCD, and the group on the right won America's Best Dance Crew. I can't dance to save my life and it was insane to watch these people. It was contemporary, hip-hop, Latin, tap, and Irish step dancing. SUPER good. I'm so glad I went. It's these kinds of shows that you just have to say "yes" to and you'll be amazed. I was. The audience was pretty interesting... lots of families but then the guy in front of us was definitely on hardcore drugs because at the end he was dancing in a way that was literally dangerous to the people around him. Oh people.

Flashmob

No comments:

Post a Comment